Speciality: Fire and Emergency Safety of Buildings and Structures
Level of qualification – Educational and Qualification Master’s Degree
Title of qualification awarded - Fire Safety Engineer
Programme duration: 3 semesters
ECTS credits allocated: 93
Field of study (ISCED-F): 1032 Protection of persons and property (861)
• Specific admissions requirements: Holders of higher education diploma from Bulgaria or abroad can study in the master’s degree programme. For educational and qualification degree not lower than bachelor of the same higher education specialty and with GPA of not less than good. The candidates are considered admitted to the specialty after they pass an interview.
• Specific arrangements for recognition of prior studies –
• Information is obtained from the ECTS coordinator of the Department of Construction of Buildings and Structures - Assoc. Prof. Eng. Galina Todorova, PhD; office A – 115, e-mail: email@example.com
• the procedure for recognition of credits is based on submission of:
- Diploma of prior studies;
- International diplomas and foreign language certificates (English - Cambridge FCE, TOEFEL; German - Zertifikat Deutsch, Sprahdiplom, Zweite Stufe; Russian - TRKI; French - DELF; Spanish - DELE);
- International diplomas and computer skills certificates equivalent to ECDL (The European Computer Driving Licence).
• the award of credits is according to the syllabus of the specialty and on the basis of the diplomas and certificates.
• Requirements and rules for qualification* - to obtain a master’s degree, the students have to be awarded 93 credits, of which 72 credits from compulsory courses, 3 credits from electives, 4,5 credits from optional courses and 15 credits from diploma thesis defence.
Profile of the specialty: The training in the Master's degree programme in Fire and Emergency Safety of Buildings and Structures for the educational and qualification master’s degree and professional qualification fire safety engineer complies with the Ordinance on State Requirements for Higher Education in educational and qualification master’s degree,
specialties of the regulated profession of "engineer in investment design". The aim of the course is to prepare specialists with in-depth knowledge of specialized courses in the field of fire safety, the design and operation of fire-fighting and fire alarm systems. The current learning material enables to acquire integrated knowledge. Attention is paid to the design, operation and reliability of fire protection systems. The placements and internships included in the training that take place in Bulgarian and foreign companies, enterprises and laboratories are a prerequisite for the high level of the practical training of the students.
• Key learning outcomes – graduates of Fire and Emergency Safety of Buildings and Structures will be equipped with knowledge and skills in:
|No||ECTS code||Courses||Lectures and Seminars||Out-of-class Workload||Credits|
|2||INF 1099||Modern design methods||20||40||2|
|3||PHY 3014||Mechanics of demolition||50||100||5|
|4||PHY 3001||Combustion and blast physics||30||60||3|
|5||ECO 3008||Fire and emergency safety economics||20||40||2|
|6||TEC 3007||Radiation protection||30||60||3|
|7||MAS 3002||Fire extinguishing substances||45||90||4,5|
|8||TEC3085||Investigation and analysis of fires and accidents||20||40||2|
|9||TEC3086||Fire and emergency safety of buildings and structures||45||90||4,5|
|Total for semester 1||290||580||29|
|10||TEC3087||Fire and emergency safety of industrial sites||30||60||3|
|11||TEC3088||Complex systems for automatic fire and emergency safety||45||90||4,5|
|12||TEC3089||Management systems in complex fires and
major industrial accidents
|13||TEC3090||Design and operation of fire alarm systems||45||90||4,5|
|14||Design and operation of fire alarm systems – course assignment||15||30||1,5|
|15||Design and operation of fire alarm systems – placement||30||60||3|
|16||TEC3091||Tactics of fire and rescue works in complex and major accidents||30||60||3|
|17||TEC3092||Design and operation of fire extinguishing systems||45||90||4,5|
|18||Design and operation of fire extinguishing systems – course assignment||15||30||1,5|
|19||Design and operation of fire extinguishing systems – placement||30||60||3|
|Total for semester 2||315||630||31,5|
|Total for year 1||605||1210||60,5|
||Operation of firefighting and rescue equipment||30||60||3|
|21||Operation of firefighting and rescue equipment – course assignment||15||30||1,5|
|22||Operation of firefighting and rescue equipment – placement||30||60||3|
|Total for semester 3||105||840||32,5|
Total for the course of study
|1||TEC3006||Electricity Supply and Electrical Equipment of Anti-fire systems in buildings and structures||30||60||3|
|TEC3002||Safety in operation of fire-fighting equipment and automation||30||60||3|
|1||TEC3003||Automation of anti-explosion protection||30||60||3|
* At Varna Free University Chernorizets Hrabar”, one credit corresponds to 30 hours student workload, which includes 10 hours of lectures and seminars and 20 hours out-of-class workload.
Mode of study: full time/ part time
• Rules for semester exams, assessment and grades: - the syllabus of the specialty includes courses from different fields of study, fulfilling the requirement of interdisciplinarity and wide-profile training. This also determines heterogeneous requirements in the final assessment of the students' knowledge. A detailed description of the methods and assessment criteria for each discipline as well as the possibility to inform about the reasons for the assessment are described in detail in the respective curriculum.
Optional or compulsory mobility windows: none
Internship: pre-graduation internship
Apprenticeship programmes: during the placements and the pre-graduation internship
Professional profiles of the graduates:
The graduates have career prospects as designers of fire safety of buildings and structures, such as engineers in company fire and rescue services, in the units of Civil Protection State Agency, the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Interior, the National Service for Fire Safety and Population Protection, etc.
Access to further studies: Each student, who has obtained educational and qualification master’s degree has the necessary training to continue his/her education at a higher level of qualification – PhD degree in the doctoral programme in Technique of Occupational Safety and Fire-Fighting Equipment.
Programme director: Prof. Eng. Stefan Terziev, PhD
Admission Day: Monday – Friday, Office A 244, from 10.00 to 12.00.
Phone: + 359 52 359 587
Administrative Secretary: Eng. Desislava Deribeva
tel .: + 359 52 359 591