Speciality: Public Administration and Management
Specialization: European Administration
Awarded qualification: Master in Public Administration and Management
Level of qualification: Master
Specific admission requirements: Acquired professional Bachelor's/Master’s degree in Public Administration or in other major with an average grade not less than the equivalent of Good 3,5 according to the Bulgarian system of grades; an entry exam. For active employees in the administration – the exam is a motivational interview.
Specific arrangements for recognition of prior learning :
The ECTS - Coordinator /Assoc. Prof. Svetla Mihaleva, PhD/, e-mail: email@example.com of the Master’s Degree Program "European Administration" provides initial information about the procedures for recognition and allocation of credits from prior education.
Recognition of credits on the basis of submitted documents:
- an academic transcript or a diploma from a previous study;
- International diplomas and IT certificates meeting the requirements of ECDL (The European Computer Driving Licence).
Certification of knowledge and skills by passing examinations at Varna Free University "Chernorizets Hrabar" in:
- Computer skills by the Department of "Computer Studies";
- specific for the professional area knowledge and skills by Department "Administration and Management": for active employees in state administration- work placement and pre-graduation internship and courses whose educational content directly corresponds to the performance of their duties; on the basis of submitted documents, certificates, etc. from legitimate institutions of higher education for postgraduate (continuing) training in public administration.
The Department allocates ECTS credits corresponding to the study programme of the Master’s degree programme on the basis of certification of knowledge and skills.
Qualification requirements and regulations: For Bachelor’s degree holders in Public Administration: 60 credits, 30 credits from compulsory courses, 9 credits from elective courses, 3 credits from optional courses, 3 credits from a work placement (practicum in Public Management) and a pre-graduation internship and 15 credits from a Diploma work defence (Master's Thesis).
For Bachelor’s/Master’s degree holders in other majors: 90 credits, 60 credits from compulsory courses (30 credits from the equivalent semester), 9 credits from elective courses, 3 credits from optional courses, 3 credits from a work placement (practicum in Public Management) and a pre-graduation internship and 15 credits from a Diploma work defence (Master's Thesis).
Profile of the programme: The Master’s degree programme "European Administration" provides specialized training on current issues of the administration activities in the context of contemporary European criteria and requirements for administrative activities. The program aims to provide the trainees with qualification and professional competence oriented to the increasingly internationalizing labor market of administrative staff.
Key learning outcomes
The successful graduates of the program should have a thorough knowledge of:
- the role and place of the EU in the globalizing world;
- the legal and institutional system of the EU after the Lisbon Treaty;
- the Mechanisms for the formation of major EU policies and processes of adoption of Community decisions;
- the modern tools of interaction between state institutions, business sector and civil society - including Public-Private Partnerships, Outsourcing, etc.
The successful graduates of the program should be able to:
- apply theoretical knowledge in research and evaluation of real facts and phenomena of administrative practice and experience in the context of European integration;
- apply their creative abilities for expert analysis and evaluation of complex administrative problems and situations and to develop alternatives for managerial decisions;
- apply their communication skills (including negotiation, teamwork, etc.).
Occupational profiles of graduates
The acquired professional qualification allows graduates to successfully realize themselves in:
- EU institutions and other European and international organizations - as managers and experts;
- state and territorial administration, public service organizations, etc.;
- business sector - in companies whose business operates within the EU single market;
- consulting and research units which directly support the absorption of EU funds;
- NGOs - in organizations which protect interests in European environment;
- media and information centers which cover the problems of administrative development and the interaction of EU institutions with business and civil society.
Access to further studies: In educational-and qualification degree "Master" for other majors at Varna Free University and in PhD programmes .
|№||ECTS code||Course||Lectures and seminars||Out-of-class workload||Number of credits|
|1||ECO3004||Globalization and the Modern State||30||60||3|
|2||LAW3012||Legal and Institutional System of the EU-Policies and Mechanisms||30||60||3|
|3||ADM3074||European Foreign Policy||30||60||3|
|4||ADM3121||Regional Development - Challenges and Perspectives||30||60||3|
|5||ADM3015||European Administrative Space||30||60||3|
|7||MAN3054||Project Management Development||30||60||3|
|8||POL1120||EU Structural Instruments and Their Application in Bulgaria||30||60||3|
|9||Elective course 1||30||60||3|
|10||Elective course 2||30||60||3|
|Total for semester I:||300||600||30|
|1||SOC3020||Social Interactions and Teamwork||30||60||3|
|2||MAN2035||Public Sector Risk Management||30||60||3|
|3||Elective course 3||30||60||3|
|5||Work placement and Pre-graduation Internship||0||60||3|
|6||Thesis Preparation and Thesis Defence||30||420||15|
|Total for semester II:||150||720||30|
|Total for the whole course of study:||480||1320||60|
|1||ADM3016||European Cooperation and Territorial Integration||30||60||3|
|2||ADM3127||Formation and Implementation of European Policies and Strategies||30||60||3|
|5||PCI1036||Administration and Media||30||60||3|
|6||ADM3133||European Initiatives for Black Sea Cooperation||30||60||3|
|7||ADM3137||Development of the European Institutions||30||60||3|
|8||MAN1039||Leadership under Crisis Circumstances||30||60||3|
|1||ADM2020||Combating Administrative Corruption||30||60||3|
|2||ADM3142||Entrepreneurial Networks and Clusters||30||60||3|
|4||ADM1033||International Administrative Protocol||30||60||3|
|Module of equivalent courses for Bachelor's or / and Master's degree holders in other majors|
|1||POL1039||Politics and Government||45||90||4,5|
|2||LAW1003||Administrative Law and Process||45||90||4,5|
|3||ADM1028||Local Government and Regional Development||45||90||4,5|
|4||SOC1013||Sociology of Management||45||90||4,5|
|5||PSY3051||Psychology of Management||60||120||6|
|6||ADM3011||State Power and State Administration||60||120||6|
Examination regulations, assessment and grading: Specific for each discipline (coursework defence, projects, tasks or research papers, interim tests, participation in the development of team tasks, business games, etc.).
Graduation requirements: Diploma work defence (Master's Thesis)
Mode of study: part-time
Head of Master’s Degree Programme: Assoc. Prof. Svetla Mihaleva, PhD
Reception day: Tuesday (14:00 – 15:00), Office А419
tel.: +359 52 359 632, +359 88 891 79 33